Manaslu summit push abandoned as heavy snow closes first weather window

Climbers turn back from Camp III as rope-fixing team gives up attempt to reopen route to summit; 493 permits issued in record autumn season

PC: Abiral Rai

Sep 22, 2026 | Dewan Rai

The first summit window on Mount Manaslu has closed without a summit, after deep snow and avalanche danger forced teams, including the rope-fixing group, to turn back from Camp III.

Climbers began descending on Tuesday as forecasts warned of heavy snow and rain from Wednesday through September 28, leaving expedition teams facing an increasingly uncertain end to Nepal’s autumn climbing season.

The rope-fixing team had laid the fixed lines to the 8,163-metre summit five days earlier, but continuous snowfall subsequently buried sections of the route, forcing the team to return and rework the lines.

The team abandoned the effort on Tuesday as deep snow and avalanche danger made further work too hazardous.

“Everyone quit from Camp III. The rope-fixing team was forced to give up because of deep snow and avalanche,” Jenjen Lama, an IFMGA guide at Manaslu base camp, said as he prepared to descend to Samagaon.

Several teams had climbed to Camp III in the hope of taking advantage of the first favourable weather window. A Japanese team with Summit Force Expedition had been due to make a summit attempt on Tuesday morning, but climbers decided they needed sufficient time to descend before conditions deteriorated.

Nga Tenji Sherpa of Summit Force Expedition said other teams were also turning back from Camp III after the rope-fixing team abandoned its attempt to re-establish the lines to the summit.

“The chances of a summit on Manaslu this season are looking slim now,” said Nga Tenji, whose three teams were spread between Camps I, II and III.

Chhang Dawa Sherpa of Seven Summit Treks, one of Nepal’s largest expedition operators, said his company had decided to close its Manaslu season.

“For the safety of everyone on the mountain, we have made the decision to officially close the Manaslu 2026 season,” he said in a social media post.

“When it comes to the technical challenges of an expedition, we prepare, adapt and find a way to tackle them. But there is one thing we can never overcome: snowfall, wind and mountain conditions are beyond our control.”

“It is never an easy decision, but every successful expedition begins and ends with one responsibility: bringing everyone home safely,” he said.

Many expedition teams have already returned to Kathmandu, while others are descending to Samagaon and plan to wait there for the storm to pass before deciding whether to leave the mountain.

The season had drawn an unprecedented number of foreign climbers to Manaslu, with 493 climbing permits issued so far. Yet the first major summit opportunity has ended without a successful ascent.

With more snow and rain forecast from September 23 to 28, expedition leaders are now focusing on getting climbers safely off the mountain rather than attempting to force a summit in deteriorating conditions.

Related Articles

For Sherpas, by Sherpas

A pair of Sherpa entrepreneurs have introduced affordable high-quality technical gear into the Nepali market.

Dec 07, 2021 | Everest Chronicle

Thanks to COVID, Confusion Reigns around Extension of Everest Permits

Last spring, many expedition organizers and climbers cancelled their expeditions due to rampant COVID-19 infections at Everest Base Camp, nearly all of whom want to climb again. But Nepal’s Department of Tourism is giving mixed messages around the possibility of extending unused climbing permits.

Jan 22, 2022 | Everest Chronicle

Kami Rita Eyes 26th Ascent of Mount Everest

Kami Rita Sherpa, the legendary guide who has summited Mount Everest more than any other human in recorded history, is planning to climb the world’s highest peak one more time. Sherpa, who first climbed Everest in 1994, was planning to summit the peak twice last year. He later aborted his second attempt after reaching Camp III due to bad dreams. This year, he will be guiding a team of American climbers.

Feb 02, 2022 | Everest Chronicle

Jost Kobusch just doesn’t care 

The ambitious German mountaineer speaks to Everest Chronicle about his second attempt to climb Everest solo, in winter, and without supplemental oxygen.

Feb 07, 2022 | Dewan Rai

When a summit isn’t actually a summit, but still somehow is

Mingma G’s bold and public ascent to the true summit of Manaslu should have ended the debate over the mountain’s highest point entirely. But instead, it seems to have brought up more questions than answers.

Feb 11, 2022 | Dewan Rai

Bad weather delays Cho Oyu winter ascent 

Gelje Sherpa’s team is now considering a second push to the summit of Cho Oyu after strong winds and deteriorating weather conditions ended their summit bid. Another team led by Mingma Dorchi and Pioneer Adventure is at their base camp waiting for a weather window.

Feb 21, 2022 | Everest Chronicle

Everest expedition operators fear another chaotic year

With the ongoing covid pandemic, travel restrictions to China, and continued global uncertainty, Nepal’s expedition operators are facing another difficult year.

Feb 24, 2022 | Dewan Rai